1. Always eat 5-6 times a day. Feed your body, keep your body energized so it will not breakdown muscle and store energy as body fat.
2. Have an appropriate caloric ratio. 50% Carbohydrates 40% Proteins 10% Fats
3. Each meal should compliment what you will be doing the next 3-4 hours. If you are about to workout, then take in more energy. If you are about to go to bed, eat a simpler carb meal.
4. To lose fat you must have a negative caloric balance meaning you are consuming less calories than you are burning. To build muscle you must have a positive caloric balance meaning that you are taking in more calories than you are burning. This calorie intake is accompanied by and consistant with a balanced resistance and aerobic training routine.
5. In order to get all the nutrients you need to maintain your lean mass supplementation is necessary. It is hard to eat 5-6 meals a day for most people so sometimes a supplementary shake could pose as a meal replacement.